My academic and science policy experience:
- Devising and delivering summer school workshops for the Newcastle University Institute of Neuroscience.
- Teaching National Centre for Research Methods workshop on experimental approaches for social research.
- Guest Lecturing for the School of Psychology at the London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Guest Lecturing for Clinical and Health Psychology at the University of Liverpool.
- Guest Lecturing for the Combined Honours School at Newcastle University.
- Teaching & demonstrating for the School of Biology and the Faculty of Medical Sciences at Newcastle University.
- Informal supervision of undergraduate project students & postgraduate research students in the Faculty of Medical Sciences and the Faculty of Science Agriculture and Engineering.
- Local Champion for the Evidence Information Service.
- Faculty of Medical Sciences Postgraduate Student Representative.
- Student representative on Faculty of Medical Sciences Development Review Group.
- Student representative on the Newcastle University Researcher Development Coordination Group.
- First aider, Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle University.
- Trained Parliamentary Outreach Trainer (Parliamentary Outreach Office training, 2015)
- Trustee, Newton’s Apple Foundation.
- Science Communication and Outreach Activities including science engagement events in secondary schools and the British Science Festival Event, “The Big Society? Interactive Psychology Games”
- Researcher in the University of Liverpool Biosciences department (2005-2006)
I have peer reviewed publications for:
- Applied Evolutionary Anthropology
- Evolution and Human Behaviour
- Evolutionary Medicine and Public Health
- Evolutionary Psychology
- Human Nature
- Journal of Evolutionary Psychology
- Personality and Individual Differences
- PLoS One
- Social Science & Medicine
I have peer reviewed grant applications for:
- The Economic and Social Research Council
- The Royal Academy of Engineering (Ingenious public engagement grant review)
My non-academic work experience has included:
- Communications Manager (Senior Executive Officer), Department of Health (2008-2010)
- Director of Newton’s Apple Foundation (2008)
- Consulting Policy and Project Manager for Newton’s Apple Foundation (2007-2008)
- Area Fundraising Coordinator for the British Red Cross (2007)
- Operational Marketing Assistant for the British Red Cross (2007)
Past engagement activities (see home page for current activities):
- London Evolution Research Network (organising committee member 2008-2009, Brunel University representative 2009-2010)
- UK coordinator for Yearoutindia, (2006-2010)
- Committee member for Science Café Wales and also the South Wales Science Alliance (2006-7)
- Volunteer assistant at the Science Media Centre (2006)
- Work Experience at BBC Specialist Factual and Learning department (2006)
- Research Assistant and Public Awareness team leader for Archelon, the Sea Turtle Protection Society of Greece (2001-2002)
- Intern for the Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary (2001)
Non-scientific and popular science writing experience:
- Internship at BBC Focus magazine (2006)
- Regular writer for Buzz magazine (2005-2007)
- Articles in Science and Public Affairs magazine (now People and Science, a publication of the British Science Association, 2006)
- Articles in Science in Parliament magazine (2006-2008)
- A winner of the National Brain-Science Writing Prize Award – Changing the Face of Our Lives, published in the Bulletin of the British Neuroscience Association, spring 2007