- PhD, Behavioural Sciences, Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle University (2011-2014)
- MSc, Evolutionary Psychology (Distinction) Brunel University (2008-2011)
- BSc, Zoology with Evolutionary Psychology (2:1) University of Liverpool (2002-2005)
Academic & science policy experience:
- PhD thesis examiner, École normale supérieure, Paris, 2018.
- Programme committee member for the 2018 International Society for Evolution, Medicine & Public Health meeting.
- UKSBM consultations adviser, contributing to the UKSBM response to ‘A healthier future – action and ambitions on diet, activity and healthy weight’. Scottish Government, January 2018.
- Devising and delivering summer school workshops for the Newcastle University Institute of Neuroscience.
- Teaching National Centre for Research Methods workshops on experimental approaches for social research.
- Guest Lecturing for the School of Psychology at the London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Guest Lecturing for Clinical and Health Psychology at the University of Liverpool.
- Guest Lecturing for the Combined Honours School at Newcastle University.
- Teaching & demonstrating for the School of Biology and the Faculty of Medical Sciences at Newcastle University.
- Informal supervision of undergraduate project students & postgraduate research students in the Faculty of Medical Sciences and the Faculty of Science Agriculture and Engineering.
- Local Champion for the Evidence Information Service.
- Faculty of Medical Sciences Postgraduate Student Representative.
- Student representative on Faculty of Medical Sciences Development Review Group.
- Student representative on the Newcastle University Researcher Development Coordination Group.
- First aider, Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle University.
- Trained Parliamentary Outreach Trainer (Parliamentary Outreach Office training, 2015)
- Trustee, Newton’s Apple Foundation.
- Science Communication and Outreach Activities including science engagement events in secondary schools and the British Science Festival Event, “The Big Society? Interactive Psychology Games”
- Researcher in the University of Liverpool Biosciences department
Peer review of publications for:
- Applied Evolutionary Anthropology
- Evolution and Human Behaviour
- European Journal of Social Psychology
- Evolutionary Medicine and Public Health
- Evolutionary Psychology
- Human Ethology Bulletin
- Human Nature
- Journal of Evolutionary Psychology
- Personality and Individual Differences
- PLoS One
- Proceedings of the Royal Society: Biology
- Social Science & Medicine
Peer review of grant applications for:
- The Economic and Social Research Council
- The Royal Academy of Engineering (Ingenious public engagement grant review)
Non-academic work experience includes:
- Communications Manager (Senior Executive Officer), Department of Health (2008-2010)
- Director of Newton’s Apple Foundation (2008)
- Consulting Policy and Project Manager for Newton’s Apple Foundation (2007-2008)
- Area Fundraising Coordinator for the British Red Cross (2007)
- Operational Marketing Assistant for the British Red Cross (2007)
Past engagement activities (see home page for current activities):
- London Evolution Research Network (organising committee member 2008-2009, Brunel University representative 2009-2010)
- UK coordinator for Yearoutindia, (2006-2010)
- Committee member for Science Café Wales and also the South Wales Science Alliance (2006-7)
- Volunteer assistant at the Science Media Centre (2006)
- Work Experience at BBC Specialist Factual and Learning department (2006)
- Research Assistant and Public Awareness team leader for Archelon, the Sea Turtle Protection Society of Greece (2001-2002)
- Intern for the Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary (2001)
Non-scientific and popular science writing experience:
- Internship at BBC Focus magazine (2006)
- Regular writer for Buzz magazine (2005-2007)
- Articles in Science and Public Affairs magazine (now People and Science, a publication of the British Science Association, 2006)
- Articles in Science in Parliament magazine (2006-2008)
- A winner of the National Brain-Science Writing Prize Award – Changing the Face of Our Lives, published in the Bulletin of the British Neuroscience Association, spring 2007
- Programming, data wrangling & mapping (e.g. R, Excel & SPSS)
- Online data collection platforms (e.g. Qualtrics, Prolific, Amazon MTurk, Crowdflower & SocialSci)
- Web page design
- BMS and MEDS software (Department of Health)
- NHS Comms Link (Department of Health)
- MS Project, IBM Quickr & Lotus Notes
Management & leadership training:
- Event management training (Government Communications Network)
- Knowledge and Information management development (Department of Health)
- Leadership development training (Olivier Mythodrama)
- Project Management (Department of Health)
- Strategic communications planning development (NHS Communications Forum)
Additional biological training:
- Evolutionary Biology Workshop in the Alps (Conference Universitaire de Suisse Occidentale – 3 ECTS credits)
- Field Skills in Biology
- Quantitative Biology
- Parliamentary Outreach Training
- Science Policy training (Newton’s Apple)
- Actors Workshop for Science Communication (Actors Workshop)
- First Aid at work training (North East Ambulance Service)
- Introduction to the news media (Science Media Centre)
- Introduction to Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (ITLHE) Part A
- IT Demonstrator Training (Newcastle University, School of Medical Sciences Education Development)
- Public engagement in science training (British Science Association)
- Science, policy, risk and uncertainty (Foundation for Science and Technology)