Bateson, M., Aviv, A., Bendix, L., Benetos, A., Ben-Shlomo Y., Bojesen S.E., Cooper, C., Cooper, R., Deary, I.J., Hagg, S., Harris, S.E., Kark, J.D., Kronenberg, F., Kuh, D., Labat, C, Martin-Ruiz, C.M., Meyer, C, Nordestgaard, B.G., Penninx, B. W. J. H., Pepper, G.V., Revesz, D., Said, M.A., Starr, J.M, Syddall, H., Thomson, W.M., van der Harst, P., Whooley, M, von Zglinicki, T., Willeit, P., Zhan, Y & Nettle, D. (2019). Smoking does not accelerate leucocyte telomere attrition: a meta-analysis of 18 longitudinal cohorts. Royal Society Open Science, 6(190420).
Bulley, A., Miloyan B., Pepper, GV., Gullo, MJ ., Henry, JD., Suddendorf , T. (2019) Cuing both positive and negative episodic foresight reduces delay discounting but does not affect risk taking. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 1-57. [Link]
Pepper G. V., Bateson, M., Nettle D. (2018) Telomeres as integrative markers of exposure to stress and adversity: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Royal Society Open Science. 5: 180744. [Link]
Bonham T, Pepper G. V., Nettle D. (2018) The relationships between exercise and affective states: A naturalistic, longitudinal study of recreational runners. PeerJ 2018, 6, e4257 [Link].
Pepper, G.V. & Nettle, D. (2017) Strengths, altered investment, risk management, and other elaborations on the behavioural constellation of deprivation. Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 40 (e346) [Link].
Pepper, G. V., Corby, D. H., Bamber, R., Smith, H., Wong, N., & Nettle, D. (2017). The influence of mortality and socioeconomic status on risk and delayed rewards: a replication with British participants. PeerJ, 5, e3580 [Link].
Pepper, G.V. & Nettle, D. (2017) The Behavioural Constellation of Deprivation: Causes and consequences. Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 40 (e346)[Link].
Bulley, A. & Pepper, G.V. (2017) Cross-country relationships between life expectancy, intertemporal choice and age at first birth. Evolution and Human Behavior [Link].
Bulley, A., Pepper, G.V., & Suddendorf, T. (2017). Commentary on Van Lange et al.: Using foresight to prioritise the present. Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 40(e79) 15-16 [Link].
McAllister, L.S., Pepper, G.V., Virgo, S. & Coall, D. A. (2016) The Evolved Psychological Mechanisms of Fertility Motivation: Hunting for Causation in a Sea of Correlation. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, B [PDF]
Pepper, G.V. McAllister, L.S. & Sear, R. (2016) Why demography needs psychologists. The Psychologist 26(1) 26-29. [PDF]
Pepper, G.V., Namdeo, A., Arnott, B., Blundred, C., Sniehotta, F., Araujo-Soares, V. (2015) Cycling in the City: A report of our scoping and piloting work towards evaluating the health impacts of the Cycling in the City programme. An evaluation report written for the Newcastle City Council Public Health team, 1-64. [PDF]
Pepper, G.V. (2015) Cleaner, healthier streets: possible approaches and likely benefits. An evidence review written for the Newcastle City Council Public Health team, 1-27. [PDF]
Pepper, G.V. & Nettle, D. (2014) Out of control mortality matters: the effect of perceived extrinsic mortality risk on a health-related decision. PeerJ 2:e459 [PDF]
Schroeder, K.B., Pepper, G.V. & Nettle, D. (2014) Local norms of cheating and the cultural evolution of crime and punishment: a study of two urban neighbourhoods. PeerJ 2:e450 [Link]
Nettle, D., Pepper G.V., Jobling, R. et al. (2014) Being there: A brief visit to a neighbourhood induces the social attitudes of that neighbourhood. PeerJ. 2: e236 [Link]
Pepper, G. V. & Nettle, D. (2014). Socioeconomic disparities in health behaviour: An evolutionary perspective. In D. W. Lawson & M. Gibson (Eds.), Applied Evolutionary Anthropology: Darwinian Approaches to Contemporary World Issues. Springer. [View]
Pepper, G. V. & Nettle, D. (2013) Death and the time of your life: experiences of close bereavement are associated with steeper financial future discounting and earlier reproduction. Evolution and Human Behaviour, 34(6): 433-439 [Link] [Poster]
Pepper, G. V. (2007) – Changing the Face of Our Lives, Bulletin of the British Neuroscience Association, spring’07 [Download]
Pepper, G.V. & Roberts, S.C. (2006). Rates of Nausea and vomiting in pregnancy and dietary characteristics across populations. Proceedings. Royal. Society, B 273 2675-2679 [Link]
Recent invited talks:
- Invited presentation at Keep Britain Tidy roundtable on litter and environmental quality, 2019
- Invited symposium talk, Outrage: collective behaviour in response to social inequality, International Convention of Psychological Science, 2019
- Invited symposium talk, Developmental Adaptation to Stress: Longitudinal Tests of an Evolutionary-Developmental Model, International Convention of Psychological Science, 2019
- Invited seminar, École normale supérieure, Paris, 2018
- Invited seminar, Oxford, Evolution and Public Health, 2018
- Invited guest lecture, Newcastle University School of Psychology, 2018
- Invited talk, St Andrews School of Psychology & Neuroscience, 2018
- Invited talk, Ruhr University Bochum interdisciplinary workshop on public health, 2018
- Invited plenary, at Institute of Advanced Studies workshop on ‘Computational modelling of decision-making across scales: from neural coding to policy-making’, 2018
- Invited Seminar, Middlesex University, Department of Psychology, 2018
- National Centre for Research Methods workshops on experimental methods for the social sciences, 2016 & 2017
- Invited guest lecture, London School of Economics and Political Science on The Social Psychology of Health Communication module, 2017
- Invited Seminar, King’s College London, Health Psychology Section, 2017
- Invited seminar, Nottingham Trent University, Division of Psychology, 2017
- Invited Seminar, Durham University of Anthropology of Health Research Group, 2016
- Invited Seminar, University of Oxford Medical Anthropology Seminar Series, 2016
- Invited guest lecture, University of Liverpool Clinical and Health Psychology module, 2016
- Invited guest lecture, London School of Economics and Political Science on The Social Psychology of Health Communication module, 2016
- Invited Seminar, University College London biological anthropology seminar series, 2016
- Invited seminar, York University Social Minds talk series, 2015
- Invited seminar, Northumbria Psychology seminar series, 2015
- Invited presentation at the North East Evolutionary Psychology Conference, 2015
- Invited guest lecture, University of Liverpool Clinical and Health Psychology module, 2015
- Invited seminar, University of Liverpool Perception Research Group, 2015
- Invited workshop for Health Improvement Commissioners & Public Health workers from South Tees, 2014
- Invited seminar, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, 2014 [link]
- Invited presentation as part of the Liverpool Hope University as part of the Economic and Social Research Council Festival, 2013 [Watch the video]
- Invited Newcastle Health Psychology Group Workshop, 2014 [link]
Recent proffered talks:
- Seminar for the Newcastle University Centre for Behaviour and Evolution, 2018.
- Presentation at a Fuse event on “The challenges and opportunities of embedded research in public health”, 2015
- Talk at the International Society for Evolution, Medicine & Public Health Inaugural Meeting, 2015 [watch the video]
- Guest lecture, Newcastle University Combined Studies module on Urban Poverty, 2014
- European Human Behaviour and Evolution Association Conference, 2014 [link]
- Newcastle University Institute of Neuroscience seminar series, 2014
- Newcastle University, Psychology seminar series, 2013
- Centre for Behaviour and Evolution seminar series, 2012
Recent poster presentations:
- Poster presentation at the Annual Scientific Meeting of the UK Society for Behavioural Medicine, 2015 [Poster]
- Poster presentation at the Institute of Neuroscience Postgraduate poster evening, 2013 [Poster]
- Poster presentation at the European Human Behaviour and Evolution Association conference, 2013
- Poster presentation at the Behaviour 2013, the International Conference for Ethology
- Poster presentation at the Centre for Behaviour and Evolution Conference, 2013